GX9 - portraits & landscapes

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 8,874
Re: GX9 - portraits & landscapes

I shot an A7R2 alongside MFT for a while and recently upgraded to an A7R4 for better weathersealing and AF etc.

The A7R2 is an excellent landscape and portrait camera, especially if you are happy with the DoF control of an FF f2.8 lens or f1.4 MFT lens.  It has a few weaknesses - weathersealing of the battery compartment, sluggish shooting bursts and short battery life in cold weather.  The range of FE lenses is at least as wide as MFT ones, but shifted towards heavier and more expensive but high performing lenses.

The 5Dmkiii sensor is way behind the Sony - landscape shooters were leaving Canon when the A7R2 came out.

I’d be perfectly happy shooting portraits with my EM1.2 and some of the lenses people mentioned.  I don’t know how good IS is on the GX9 and whether you use a tripod.  The EM1.2 is my go to landscape camera for handheld shots especially in bad weather.

Andrew

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow