Want to make the jump to DSLR

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,269
Re: Want to make the jump to DSLR

Waard wrote:

I have been using a Canon HS60HS for a long time. It works for me...but now seeing deficiencies...it's always a 'cost thing' underlying these matters, is it not?

So, I am on eBay looking for used DSLR and darnit, it's confusing and humbling to know so little. (At least he's honest enough to admit it, huh? OK...enough of that.

What's an advance for me...best bang for the buck? Better than HS60HS by a leap?

I believe your camera is the Canon SX60 HS. It has a tiny cellphone-sized sensor so it takes photos that are similar to a cellphone. Broadly speaking, cameras with larger sensors will take better photos. But that tiny sensor in the SX60 HS allows the camera to have that tremendous 65x zoom range (21-1365mm eqv.). You'll not find anything like this in cameras with larger sensors.

DPR just published an article that will help guide you through this process:

What to know before buying your first interchangeable lens digital camera

DPR also has a bunch of Buying Guides that can help narrow down the choices. Buying used from trustworthy dealers (in the USA - KEH, B&H, Adorama) can save a lot of money.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow