GX9 - portraits & landscapes

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
maggiemole Senior Member • Posts: 1,803
Re: GX9 - portraits & landscapes

Barry Twycross wrote:

maggiemole wrote:

LancashireLisa wrote:

Hi Barry

Thanks for your message. The GFX50R looks a spectacular camera but it is out of my price range at the moment.

Perhaps, like someone has suggested, I need to post some photos so people can take a look. As you say a tripod may help.

I've taken some terrific photos with my current set up but in certain circumstances I feel a little frustrated. For example, I was invited to an exhibition launch where it wouldn't have been ideal to take a tripod. I attended with my camera, the light wasn't low but it wasn't the best - I was taking some photos & the chap next to me was snapping away on the latest iPhone. On the small screens his images looked lighter & brighter. Granted I wasn't comparing them at home on my PC. Perhaps a faster lens with a larger aperture would've worked better than my kit 12-60.

Anyway thank you, when I'm next on my PC I will share some images.

Much appreciated, Lisa

A fast lens is primarily about depth of field rather than light gathering. If you’re not getting enough light at the most open aperture, try slowing your shutter speed . It’s a lot cheaper than an f2.8 lens.

There's a limit to how low you can take the shutter speed. An f/1.2 lens still gathers 2.5 stops more light than an f/2.8 lens (and similar contrasts for slower vs f/2.8), so you can use a shutter speed 5.4x as fast. That could really be the different between getting the shot, and not.

If you're not shooting anything too close, the depth of field is pretty irrelevant.

Oh, I agree, Barry. But I was thinking about where the OP started which was losing details in the shadows in her landscape photography. There was no indication that this was shooting at night or anywhere close in terms of low light overall. So it seems to me that an f1.2 lens doesn’t solve that problem, and most landscapes with their shadow and highlight content are happy at f5.6. And landscapes don’t generally have any need for shallow DoF, as you point out.

But it does feel as if the purpose of the original question has been diverted, introducing weddings and portraits, and I no longer know what the OP is looking for. My GX9 with the kit 12-60 gives excellent all-round performance (and I mostly shoot landscapes with it), and I am happy to deal with obstinate shadow detail problems in post.

maggiemole's gear list:maggiemole's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow