Samyang 14mm EF renewal or RF (manual)

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Sittatunga Veteran Member • Posts: 3,523
Re: Samyang 14mm EF renewal or RF (manual)

Andy01 wrote:

m_breeb_99 wrote:

See the samyang website for more detail on the "renewal" / mark 2 version.

I know nothing about this Mk ii version, but I would be suspect as it is still the standard/cheap f2.8 lens "range", and still has an aperture ring which means it possibly (probably) doesn't communicate with the camera.

The specs on the website (which are not very comprehensive) appear to be almost identical to the old f2.8 lens but a little heavier (due to the addition of the focus lock ring ?). The specs are completely different to the f2.4 XP lens, so I don't think they have changed anything in the optics design (to make it closer to the XP), which may not be an issue since the old lens could be optically good - IF you got a good copy.

The pictures show no contacts on the lens mount.  I couldn't live with the moustache distortion of the RF mount MF version and sent it back within hours.

I would suggest a touch of Buyer Beware, and if you do buy one, get it from a reputable seller with a great zero cost returns returns policy because unless they have changed their QC strategy you may still go through 3-5 lenses before getting a good one.

Interestingly, the website doesn't list a single RF lens (when I choose ALL & RF mount) - maybe I am missing something ?

There's been a bit of discussion about that; see https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65251991

Colin

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow