Win 11 system requirements and compatibility talk

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
S Castle
S Castle Senior Member • Posts: 1,327
Re: Win 11 system requirements and compatibility talk

Austinian wrote:

abelits wrote:

No one can reliably make a decision, what is and what is not a legitimate file access based only on the names of files and programs involved. It's not difficult for an attacker to give his program a legitimate-sounding name, and most exploits run from the context of legitimate vulnerable processes in the first place.

This can also block a scheduled legitimate procedure that runs unattended, for example, backup, while malware will be running under the guise of another existing service.

Should such malware ever invade my system it would still run if I didn't use Controlled folders. If you expect any single defense to be absolutely perfect you're likely to be disappointed. Consider it just another brick in the security wall.

If I were to see a program blocked aside from one I'd just executed myself for the first time ( I haven't), I wouldn't whitelist it but start an investigation instead.

Yes, I have to agree. This is part of "defense in depth" and also "detection is a must". Granted, the typical home user has very shallow defenses, with the edge firewall usually being the default router supplied by the cable company or the AP purchased for DSL connection, and nothing more, aside from that provided now by Windows.

Here are Eric Cole's four principles of network security:

1. Know your system
  2. Always use least privilege
  3. Defense in depth
  4. Prevention is ideal but detection is a must

Most home users don't apply any of these.

In organizations with security issues, we can see all of these neglected, as well, often willfully. Sigh.

-- hide signature --

Shane

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow