Re: Win 11 system requirements and compatibility talk

Austinian wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Austinian wrote:

abelits wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

But as abelits says, the problem of ransomware and corrupted backups is not yet solved.

Solved, perhaps not, but the mitigation strategy is backups to media which are kept offline.

That's my preferred solution, but for ransomware specifically, there's also "Controlled folder access" available in 10 and 11.

So far that feature mostly succeeded in annoying and confusing users.

I've used "Controlled folder access" since its introduction. Many security measures can be annoying and confusing to some users; that's not unusual.

"Controlled folder access" is a denial of service attack by Microsoft.

I love that phrase.

Great idea, too obstructive. If it did a popup message like the firewall dose when a new application tries to access a folder it would work

That's a good idea; I know what to expect, but a naive user may not.

No one can reliably make a decision, what is and what is not a legitimate file access based only on the names of files and programs involved. It's not difficult for an attacker to give his program a legitimate-sounding name, and most exploits run from the context of legitimate vulnerable processes in the first place.

This can also block a scheduled legitimate procedure that runs unattended, for example, backup, while malware will be running under the guise of another existing service.

abelits's gear list:abelits's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow