Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 11,717
Re: Win 11 system requirements and compatibility talk

S Castle wrote:

Austinian wrote:

abelits wrote:

Austinian wrote:

for ransomware specifically, there's also "Controlled folder access" available in 10 and 11.

So far that feature mostly succeeded in annoying and confusing users.

I've used "Controlled folder access" since its introduction. Many security measures can be annoying and confusing to some users; that's not unusual.

Interesting. This is the first time I learned of "Controlled folder access". I found it buried under the "Ransomware protection" under "Virus & threat protection" in Windows Security. After examining its settings, I turned it on and was almost immediately warned about Acronis cyber-protect-service.exe trying to access \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 .

I have to say that raising the UAC for all components of "Controlled folder access" is annoying, including just looking at the block history. But I suppose that's being properly paranoid.

I'll see how this goes.

The only apps I've had to whitelist for "Controlled folder access" have been apps like PhotoLab that write to controlled folders; quite possibly I use fewer such applications that do that than most other users, and so don't get flagged as much.

Also, I'm only that paranoid on the desktop's primary boot drive; the gaming/testing boot drive and the various laptops (like the one I'm using right now) don't have it, as they don't have data I'm very concerned about losing. Everything is backed up, of course, but not every day.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow