A73 or A7r3 for Landscape, Timelapse, Astro & Sports?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
barnyz Regular Member • Posts: 468
Re: A73 or A7r3 for Landscape, Timelapse, Astro & Sports?

GavinSheehan wrote:

Hi All,

I am an enthusiast landscape, astrophotographer and time lapse creator who also does some paid sport event work on the side. I currently shoot with an A6500 and A6400. The A6500 is extremely well used and has been my main camera for 3+ years. I'm in the process of replacing it and shifting to a full frame set up with a camera that has dual SD slots as I'm starting to do more events.

I'm torn between the a7r3 and a73 as my 2 options. I predominantly shoot landscapes and time lapse with events being about 5% of my shooting time. I'm looking for opinions on both cameras specifically when it comes to timelapsing. I understand the newer firmware is available on both cameras so from a software capability standpoint they are the same but I'm wondering if the extra MP in the R become useful for timelapse cropping or is the file size a nuisance?

Another thing drawing me to the R is the crop mode with 18mp which would still be very useful versus the 3. I'd welcome people's thoughts an experiences. Thanks.

I have an A7iii which i use for time lapses and video. Its an amazing camera however I often wish I had an A7riii. Not only would it give me the option of 8k timelapses but it would also allow alot of cropping for 4k time lapses. You could take one sequence and potentially crop it in a way to create two timelapses as well.

barnyz's gear list:barnyz's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow