UV filters, unscientific test

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
WongRQ Contributing Member • Posts: 647
Re: UV filters, unscientific test

s4myd wrote:

Hi everyone,

I know that UV filters for many photographers are kind of a hot topic with many detractors since sensors are already treated for that but most people are using UV filters for protection purposes, against dust, sea breeze and so on. I'm one of those people that like to protect his gear as much as possible but I always wondered how much a good UV filter may impact the final results. I actually have been quite surprised by the results I got with my Sony A7 III + 85mm 1.8 combo, I honestly think that in 99% of the case nobody could guess which image comes from which filter. Unfortunately, it has been very rainy the past couple of days so I could only realise this test with artificial lighting but it was enough to create some flares. I wanted to test the sharpness as well as the flares.

The tested filters are the following:

• No filter at all
  • Hoya UV UX
  • B+W F-Pro E 010 uv - haze
  • B+W F-Pro MRC 010 uv - haze
  • B+W Xs-Pro MRC nano

Sharpness test

No filter

Hoya UV UX

B+W F-Pro E 010 uv - haze

B+W F-Pro MRC 010 uv - haze

B+W Xs-Pro MRC nano

Comparaison between no filter and Hoya ux

In terms of sharpness, I can't notice any loss even with the entry-level filter, very surprising.

Flare test

No filter

Hoya UV UX

B+W F-Pro E 010 uv - haze

B+W F-Pro MRC 010 uv - haze

B+W Xs-Pro MRC nano

The B+W Haze E seems to be the worst at flaring due to its basic coating but for the other ones, it looks fairly good in my opinion, a little bit more flare but not that bad.

Comparaison no filter/Hoya-ux/B+W E haze and MRC

The B+W xs-pro seems a bit too pricey for the quality difference but it is a slim filter, like the hoya ux. The quality of the metal itself is also better on the different B+W, brass instead of aluminum.

I hope that it will help a few people in their choice and if you have some suggestions, don't hesitate to tell me.

Main reason why people don't use UV Filters because it has made things worse before, not just on the sharpness aspect. More often than not a lens hood is sufficient.

WongRQ's gear list:WongRQ's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow