GX9 - portraits & landscapes

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Off The Mark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,101
Re: GX9 - portraits & landscapes

LancashireLisa wrote:

Hello

I posted the following on the equipment forum & someone suggest I post it here too. People have been really helpful so far, so thank you!

I have a Lumix GX9 with kit 12-60 & a Lumix 25mm 1.7.

I take mainly landscapes, city scapes & architecture. People seem to like what I do as I've sold a few prints. I would also like to start taking more portraits & continue taking landscapes. Many of the landscapes I enjoy taking are early in the morning at sunrise or sunset/late afternoon in Autumn & Winter.

At work I use a trusty Canon 650d to take photos of people & events. I work in a school so I'm busy.

I considered buying a Nocticron 42.5 for my Lumix to take more portraits (although after reading people's advice on the other forum the Lumix 42.5 or 35-100 may fulfil my needs).

I like the Lumix GX9 as I am regularly on my bike/walk but I find it loses details in the shadows, which is frustrating. Then I thought why not buy a better landscape lens for it. Then I thought why not update my whole home system & upgrade to full frame to capture more detailed landscapes.

The full frame systems I am particularly interested in & could possibly stretch to financially or save for would be

Sony A7RII

Canon 5dmiii

& then I would like good lenses for landscape & portrait.

I received lots of helpful answers on the other forum & wanted to find out about -

Great lenses for landscapes (shooting in low light) for the GX9.

Great lenses for portraits for the GX9.

Or if you think it may be better investing in FF ?

Many thanks to you all! Lisa

I see you have the Sony a7R II camera on your short list. it does do very well in terms of landscapes (as far as the examples I have seen).

Another possibility would be the a7 III or the a7 C (although I admit that I am worried by the reported shutter issues with the a7 III).

There are lots of great lenses for the a7 III / a7 C / a7R II as well.

I shoot architecture for a living and have taken thousands of photos of architecture / real estate with my crop sensor Sony a6500 and 10-18 lens and it has been a great lightweight setup. It has excellent shadow recovery in RAW.

However, for landscape photos, if you can bracket your photos and either blend by hand or use luminosity masks, you COULD end up saving a whole lot of money and weight by purchasing cameras with a smaller sensor and just doing some post processing.

On the other hand, for low light event shooting (like weddings) where you won't have the ability to bracket photos, a bigger sensor could really come in handy.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow