Am I missing something? Locked

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
mostlyboringphotog Forum Pro • Posts: 10,057
Re: Am I missing something?

JayPhizzt wrote:

NicsPixels wrote:

I've said it countless times and I'll say it again: the main differences between sensors and sensor sizes are resolution, noise and dynamic range. With a larger sensor you generally get less noise at high ISO, more dynamic range and potentially a higher resolution. Aside from these things it's the lens that matters the most for IQ and there are of course excellent lenses available for all systems. Sadly, so many people seem to live in the myth that a larger sensor will always yield better results. - bold added

Allow me to quibble a bit - I do think that a larger sensor will always yield better result for the similar camera technology. Less noise, more DR and larger FOV - it's simply the physics; it's not a myth.

If the "better" result matters or not is what the most argument goes round and round. Such argument reminds me of if the tree fell and no one heard the sound, did it make sound fallacy.

With the availability of high MP, mirrorless FF that comes close to a 4/3rd size and weight seems to argue for some reconsideration, if one is so inclined.

To claim because I do not see the difference, the difference does not matter seems to be somewhat short sighted, imho.

mostlyboringphotog's gear list:mostlyboringphotog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Pentax 645Z Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EOS RP
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow