Anyone try the new RR Big Bend Baryta Paper?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 4,588
Re: Anyone try the new RR Big Bend Baryta Paper?

Regardless of science or logic, everyone is free to make personal choices.  I would not be at all put off with a baryta paper or any other paper for that matter with minimal OBAs.  Whether stated by the vendor or not, most papers contain some OBAs in the substrate.  The brightness of the baryta (barium sulfate) layer will not fade or yellow over time.

In addition to the archival qualities, the old San Gabriel baryta paper was my favorite.  Unfortunately the quality was not consistent.  There were two issues.  The first was black specks in the coating.  One shipment I received had specks in about 1/3 of the sheets.  Even then most prints would be OK if the speck(s) coincided with a dark area of the image.  Another issue was flaking of the coating.  If a small flake occurred after printing that would leave a small white area on the print.

The quality issues with baryta paper were not restricted to the Red River papers.  I suspect there is a single mill or a single provider of raw material used in making baryta paper.  Other suppliers had similar issues and at one time several years ago, ALL baryta papers had been recalled and were on "backorder".  I would be concerned about these same issues occurring again based on a long history of issues for all vendors.

For me there would be two reasons to consider the new baryta paper.  First would be the longevity.  That would be only a very minor consideration for me.  Even for inexpensive and high OBA papers, such as the Red River Ultrapro Satin, the claims for longevity are impressive.  I am content with a paper when prints will last for decades even unprotected from UV.  My prints are not likely to be on display under harsh conditions for decades.  Even then they would be behind glazing.

The main reason I would consider the new baryta would be print quality/appearance.  My print quality ranking for RR papers would be: baryta, Palo Duro SG rag, Palo Duro Satin, Ultrapro Satin.  Even then the differences are all but undetectable and that would be for a bare print.  Put the prints behind glazing at viewing distances and the differences vanish.  Of course many people do like the "feel" of rag papers.  The new baryta would not cut it since it is wood based.  That would be a plus for me.  I avoid use of rag papers.  The rag papers need to be shaken and brushed on both sides.  Even then loose cotton fibers tend to accumulate on the rollers and critical printer parts.

-- hide signature --
 jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow