GX9 - portraits & landscapes

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,296
Re: Panasonic S5 - lenses?

Pete_W wrote:

jalywol wrote:

However, I recently added a Panasonic S5 FF in. THAT is a horse of a different color. It has the lower noise, higher DR, great high ISO performance that I missed in M43 format, AND really wonderful native color rendition. In other words, if you like the output of the GX9 in terms of color and native white balance behavior, the S5 will make you a whole lot happier than going with a Sony (or even a Canon). It also shares much of the UI with the M43 Panasonics, so adjusting to using it is super simple if you are coming from an M43 from them.

I rarely rave about camera bodies, but this is the first FF I have had that really is a joy to use, and would be a great option for your usage purposes.

Hi Janet,

I am interested in the S5 and am curious which lense (or lenses) you are using with yours.

Hi Pete, i'd be glad to give you my input.

Canon lenses do well Using MC21 adapter from Sigma.  I've got the nifty 50, original 70-200f4, and a canon-mount Tamron 35f1.4, all of which do accurate eye-AF.  AF is not fast, but not rediculously slow either.  Acceptable!

My best travel lens is the kit 20-60.

My favorite lenses, in addition to the Tamron, are Sigmas:  35 & 65 f2 lenses are beauties, the smaller 35 being most versatile.  The 100-400, though i don't use it much, is excellent.  My 14-24f2.8 dg dn is truly a wonder!  All 4 of these lenses are native to L-mount, designed for mirrorless, and plenty quick to focus.

I also have an above-average manual Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye; =excellent sharpness.  My only disappointment so far has been Laowa 14f4.  Also a manual Sam 14f2.8, which i returned.

I am looking forward to testing a Lumix 50f1.8 and the Sigma 105f2.8 macro Art(!) , both of which get stellar reviews.

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow