GX9 - portraits & landscapes

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 4,680
Re: GX9 - portraits & landscapes

LancashireLisa wrote:

I've taken some terrific photos with my current set up but in certain circumstances I feel a little frustrated. For example, I was invited to an exhibition launch where it wouldn't have been ideal to take a tripod. I attended with my camera, the light wasn't low but it wasn't the best - I was taking some photos & the chap next to me was snapping away on the latest iPhone. On the small screens his images looked lighter & brighter. Granted I wasn't comparing them at home on my PC. Perhaps a faster lens with a larger aperture would've worked better than my kit 12-60.

That may be more to do with processing than the camera itself. The GX9 sensor is almost 10x the size of the average iPhone sensor, so has the advantage of 10 times more light to play with right off the bat.

The iPhone is probably doing a lot more processing in the device itself, you can do the equivalent processing to your photos on your PC. Are you shooting raw? If not, you can get a lot more information out of a raw file than a jpeg, at the cost of more work in post processing.

Brightness is a lot more about processing than light gathering, you just have to turn up the brightness slider, wherever that maybe. I find the GX9's "i.Dynamic" very useful in "turning up the brightness" if that's an issue. In post processing i use Affinity Photo's Tone Mapping, it has the equivalent "turn up the brightness" slider with "Tone Compression". Also just about anything looks good on a phone screen, being so small.

Also the phone might be stacking shots in the phone. You can do the same thing in post processing, by taking a burst of shots and stacking them in post processing (Affinity Photo can do that). The GX9 can also do that in camera with the "Handheld Night Shot" scene mode.

For low light, I rely on the Nocticron and 20/1.7. I've got usable shots with the Nocticron from what looked like total darkness (about 0EV).

I still use my kit zoom (12-32) for 12mm shots most of the time, as I have it with me, and being stabilized and short is usually good enough for whatever lighting conditions I find. If I really want wide angle low light, I have the PL 12/1.4, but I hardly ever have that with me (it's also a bit chunky for m4/3).

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow