GX9 - portraits & landscapes

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
softmarmotte
softmarmotte Veteran Member • Posts: 3,485
Re: GX9 - portraits & landscapes

Lenses are more important than cameras... You have such a wide choice of Oly and Pana / Leica lenses. IMHO I think you will find your answers there rather than in buying a new system

Exposure bracketing more than covers 'deficiencies' in shadow/highlight situations, often without a tripod, although I find my Oly EM1 ii has better IBIS and can capture brackets better handheld than the GX9 (though they have the same sensor)

I have been doing a lot of research on real life photos and have yet to see any huge improvements of, say Sony AR7s over mft for landscapes, in most situations

You will probably be bombarded by theoretical improvements of 35mm over mft but look online at real pics before making up your mind what best suits you

How about posting some pics of where you think the GX9 is failing ?

LancashireLisa wrote:

Hello

I posted the following on the equipment forum & someone suggest I post it here too. People have been really helpful so far, so thank you!

I have a Lumix GX9 with kit 12-60 & a Lumix 25mm 1.7.

I take mainly landscapes, city scapes & architecture. People seem to like what I do as I've sold a few prints. I would also like to start taking more portraits & continue taking landscapes. Many of the landscapes I enjoy taking are early in the morning at sunrise or sunset/late afternoon in Autumn & Winter.

At work I use a trusty Canon 650d to take photos of people & events. I work in a school so I'm busy.

I considered buying a Nocticron 42.5 for my Lumix to take more portraits (although after reading people's advice on the other forum the Lumix 42.5 or 35-100 may fulfil my needs).

I like the Lumix GX9 as I am regularly on my bike/walk but I find it loses details in the shadows, which is frustrating. Then I thought why not buy a better landscape lens for it. Then I thought why not update my whole home system & upgrade to full frame to capture more detailed landscapes.

The full frame systems I am particularly interested in & could possibly stretch to financially or save for would be

Sony A7RII

Canon 5dmiii

& then I would like good lenses for landscape & portrait.

I received lots of helpful answers on the other forum & wanted to find out about -

Great lenses for landscapes (shooting in low light) for the GX9.

Great lenses for portraits for the GX9.

Or if you think it may be better investing in FF ?

Many thanks to you all! Lisa

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow