How weather resistant is WR?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,793
Re: How weather resistant is WR?

Pentax gear in my experience can handle any natural normal weather, don't know about hurricanes, ash fallout ext. Once I was shooting on top of a high rise building during the start of a storm. It was very windy, then the wind and rain picked up to a very high and hard levels. My K20D was on a tripod I thought the wind cant blow over a sturdy aluminum tripod. But all of a sudden my K20D and tripod lifted up off the roof I had to grab one of the legs and carry it into the building like a kite. Believe it or not. I had the battery grip on so I think that was enough area to push it up like that. But the wind driven rain did no damage, did not get in. I used the K20D and K-5 and more for years in weather of all types.

Pentax gear at least their dSLRs and WR lens are also tougher, thick solid shells being part of the stainless steel frames, they can handle a drop. Sometimes if unlucky the drop can break things. I have never dropped my gear. No I don't plan on selling it either, its just the truth. I have abused what I call my donor camera a K-50 that I bought for parts as-is. I didn't need it. It was cheap enough and I used it to thoroughly to test weather resistance. Its one tough camera. However the flagships like the K5 are built to a higher standard with better quality parts. For example the weather sealing in the K-5 is over twice as thick as in the K-50. But again it works for the K-50. I have real world experience with different lens and a few bodies. They live up to the claim for me. I can’t stress enough for new owners not to abuse their new gear. If you stick to drip proof and respecting that statement you don’t worry about water in your gear. Snow is never a problem.

My Donor, it took a beating and kept the rain out I could look right in through the back screen. Yep I went there I made a WR test camera

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow