Correcting orangey or yellowish skin-tones. Best way in Lightroom?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
evaeva0705 Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: To prove your point...

Clyde Thomas wrote:

Magnar W wrote:

Clyde Thomas wrote:

The unseen ghost... Sensor reflection.

Do not underestimate how much the background colors will enter into camera, bounce off sensor, bounce back into sensor, and tint the color of your models face. The brighter the background, the more intensive the sensor reflection will be.

This is not sensor reflection, it is mainly something going on in your brain, called simultaneous contrast.

This lengthy reply will prove your point ten fold, with various camera lens combos, thank you for your corrective direction, and highlight a couple of other issues that I don't believe can be completely attributed to simultaneous contrast phenomenon.

First, to your point...

All photos same 5600K LED Continuous (no flash). Sometimes different modifiers. Refer to exif for various camera/lens combos used. All setups camera set for Daylight. All ACR set for As Shot. No color corrections.

Close up of her jaw line reveals reflections from her clothing color.

Below detail close up reveals subtle differences. Highlights are slightly more contrasty under the white backdrop. The brown backdrop flattens highlights by comparison. This is a consistent phenomenon. But I now believe it is something other than sensor reflection, but more a form of reflection spill. I've diagramed this studio layout below.

I think more likely now, instead of sensor reflection, this very subtle hue shift is due to the white wash studio walls reflecting the background color back onto the model. Not a huge deal, but black flags would more than likely address slight the color shift.

Here again, close up jaw line from above photo... this shift is clothing color reflection on the ridges of his jaw line. But again still, the base skin tones have a very very slight shift with the darker skin tone background. If not sensor reflection, the studio white wall reflections of the background... I think?

Shot above... Am I wrong to see a little more yellow skin mid-tones on the brown background shot?

I don't see any shift in the comparison above.

Shot above is wild to me... seeming like different skin tones but revealing practically the same. And still, the closeup looks a bit cool tone at first glance. I have to hold my hand over the full shots and then the closeups look identical to me.

Close up nose on the left is white background. Right nose is brown background. Am I seeing a difference again in the highlights... or not..? I think I am, but I'm ready to go back to my padded cell and turn off the lights for a while.

Thanks for your tip Magnar. Really got me to thinking about it in a different way.

Thanks a lot for your detailed information and insight. It is amazing that you can pull out such a valuable knowledge from a one-liner. It is funny that I often see him spamming replies insisting on his 'theories' about colors, but when people actually show proofs he pretends as if nothing happened.

Back to the topic.

I think this issue of background color affecting skin tone might not be a direct result from sensor reflection, but maybe due to the fact that light will bounce between objects in an environment and cast subtle influence on each other. I reviewed some of the environmental portraits I took in which the shadow area of skin had strong green color-cast. I found in these pictures, my subjects often stood in a grass field and their faces tilted downward. So maybe sunlight hit the grass, bounced back  and hit the subject again, thus create green cast on the skin?

evaeva0705's gear list:evaeva0705's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow