Need help with ND & CPL choices

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Zendit_Outdoors Junior Member • Posts: 37
Need help with ND & CPL choices

So, I’m just getting into using mirror less cameras after about 9 years as a cameraman for some Outdoor Channel shows; but I only operated camcorders. This is something for myself although it’s possible that I may end up using this setup (or something similar) in the future, for some of that work - we have a big shoot in Argentina next March and I may take some mirrorless gear with me. I just got a Sony A7Riv and will be adding either a A7S or a FX3 for a dedicated video camera.  So, I’m trying to decide on some filters to buy. I was thinking about getting the PolarPro Peter McKinnon variable ND set for video work and some CPLs but then saw that PolarPro offers a lineup called the “QuartzLine Solid ND and Circular Polarizer Filters.” I’m wondering whether some of you more experienced photographers/videographers can give me some input/advice on whether it would be better to get these individual filters or get the variable ND’s and separate CPLs?

I often have to carry all my gear into the mountains on my back; so minimizing weight and the amount of gear you take is really important. It’s the biggest reason I’m trying to get away from the big, bulky and heavy camcorder. I may not actually cut weight with 2 camera bodies but I’ll sure make it easier to pack into a backpack for a week in the mountains; and I’m hoping the quality of my work will improve.

Feel free to get as specific in your recommendations as you’d like - I like the extra info as it helps me understand the ‘why’ and the ‘how’ of it! Looking forward to your reply!

- Nick

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX3 Sony a7 Sony a7R Sony a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow