Screen glitch on startup after OS upgrade

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Lettermanian
OP Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,898
Re: Screen glitch on startup after OS upgrade

Gesture wrote:

Can you swap drives in that model?

Another example why I like the ability to boot (until now) Macs from external USB drives. I might have clean installed Big Sur on an external USB SSD drive and booted from it as a trial. I boot regularly from USB 3.0 SSD on my older Macs and they do even better than what my early 201Xs machines come with for drives.

I would try that. To me that is an issue. 2014 is getting up there and I am one who works with even older Macs. But I would also rather retain that computer as a backup. Redundancy is always better than latest and greatest.

Also, before selling a computer, I would boot from an external boot drive and completely erase the computers internal drive with a higher level of erasure, probably disk utility's max. Then, clean install a selling system.

Yes, the ram is soldered but the drive is replaceable. I ended up erasing the disk and doing a new install of Big Sur, and now it starts up without the glitch. Tried shutting down and restarting a few times and all went well. Think it's ready to sell now

-- hide signature --

"Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong." -Charles M. Schulz
"I love mankind... it's PEOPLE I can't stand!!" - Linus

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 70-300 F4-5.6 R LM OIS WR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow