DXO Photolab, Capture One, or both?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
myotisone Senior Member • Posts: 2,271
Re: DXO Photolab, Capture One, or both?

i_Coon wrote:

And finally, I find that the vignette tool in C1 does not allow for free placement like the one in Photolab. But I can push it much harder and it will still look natural. I'm quite impressed with it, I find that I can use C1's vignette tool to create much moodier images.

Strangely, I find that Photolab is still much better for portrait. Because I also bought DXO filmpack, and that unlocks a "fine contrast" slider. Setting that to minus 25 does wonders for portraits, making skin look softer and making people look younger and more attractive. Trying that in C1 results in a hazy, glowing mess.

I use a radial mask in C1 for vignettes, which gives full control over the every aspect of the vignette, including its shape as the radial mask can be edited.  I don't think I've used the C1 vignette tool since they introduced the radial filter

I don't do portraits but I assume you have used the skin tool in the color editor. It doesn't directly address contrast it's controls have a subtle and controlled effect on skin contrast as well the hue and lightness, just because it evens out the colour contrast as part of the adjustment.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow