Rokinon/Samyang 14mm F/2.4 SP/XP Lens Quality

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
nighthiker Contributing Member • Posts: 576
Re: Rokinon/Samyang 14mm F/2.4 SP/XP Lens Quality

Hi!

I'm using these 14mm only for astro.

I have had the old Samyang/Rokinon 14/2.8 with the usual decentering issue and was disappointed. Now I have the Sigma A 14/1.8 and the Samyang/Rokinon XP/SP 14/1.4 which have both pro's and con's. I'm very skeptical with non-XP lenses from Samyang due to their known poor quality.

Samyang 14/2.4:

- Very little coma (nearly coma-free around f/2.8)

- moderate vignette

- a sharp lens

- moderate price

- moderate weight

Using the lens-profile of Adobe Camera Raw I haven't had any problems with panoramas, but the lens has some distortion.

Sigma A 14/1.8

- little/moderate coma in the corners (nearly coma-free around f/3.2 or f/4)

- less vignette than the Samyang

- a sharper lens than the Samyang

- expensive

- heavy

When light-gathering or the best image quality is paramount (e.g. meteor shower) I use the Sigma, but when weight is an important point (longer mountain hike at night) I prefer the Samyang.

Due to their small opening both 14mm lenses are not that well suitable for astro (https://clarkvision.com/articles/characteristics-of-best-cameras-and-lenses-for-nightscape-astro-photography/), but for certain astro photos that is acceptable.

The new Sony 14/1.8 seems to be better in most aspects compared to the Sigma, but has - interestingly - more coma. OK, I'm not a Sony user.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow