Hold the R5 and R6 before you decide

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AdamWCohenVisuals Forum Member • Posts: 65
Hold the R5 and R6 before you decide

I was at B&H last weekend specifically to experience these two cameras with the first lens I would buy, the RF50mm f/1.2.

I highly recommend that people considering these cameras hold them before buying them.

With this mammoth lens mounted, my experience of the R6 was that my knuckles were pressed against the lens in an uncomfortable way. It was a jarring experience. I didn’t bother taking any test pictures with it because I knew immediately the R6 wasn’t in the running. It was too small for my hands. BUMMER!

The R5 gave me enough space for this to be a nonissue. And I was generally happy with the combo, but when I mounted my el-1 flash to it (which I’m accustomed to using on a 5DMKIV), it felt strangely out of balance.

I’ve been happily using the 5D mkiv for years, so I’m biased to how it feels when I’m using it. Of course, I’m also accustomed to its shortcomings with the EF 50mm f/1.2, which is awesome when it hits focus,,, which it sometimes doesn’t.

The r5 with the rf 50mm 1.2L hit focus at f/1.2 on every shot I took in the store. The image quality was stunning. It wasn’t as accurate with my EF 50 attached, hardly shocking. 
I have a lot to figure out. I loathe the memory costs associated with the R5. Batteries are hard to come by. So I’m not in a rush. I’m a 99% stills shooter, so this camera feels like it’s not exactly aimed at me. But it definitely feels like a possibility.

But what I really wanted to emphasize was that buying these cameras without holding them first would be a mistake. Sadly my Designers did not give me slender enough fingers to make the R6 feasible as my 5dmkiv replacement.

-- hide signature --

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"If there, do there." -my lovely wife
http://adamwcohenvisuals.com

AdamWCohenVisuals's gear list:AdamWCohenVisuals's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM +9 more
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow