Old School techniques for dealing with high contrast lighting.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
gordonpritchard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,826
Re: Old School techniques for dealing with high contrast lighting.

Charley123 wrote:

gordonpritchard wrote:

I think that caveats and limitations of polariser use should be mentioned.

Please post your opinions regarding that. I'm interested to hear your thoughts. I may learn something new.

I've been using the techniques I mentioned mostly for outdoor archtitecure and landscape on sunny days, though I have also sucessfully used those techniques for outdoor people pics (when I didn't use fill flash instead).

I'm not sure that removing reflections/glare with a polarizer is what would be considered as reducing a scene's contrast since it alters the appearance of highlight subject detail in the scene.

Be that as it may, using a polarizer can remove glare and reflections (e.g. glass and water) - but only when the light causing them is at a specific angle relative to the filter's angle. The most noticeable effect of a polarizing filter is when it’s rotated at a ninety-degree angle to the sun. At another angles it may have no effect - other than as a neutral density filter. And it may introduce glare/flare. Also, using a polarizer with a wide-angle lens can create some weird results because of the broad field of view.

-- hide signature --

———————————————————————------
"View their gallery before accepting their comments."
———————————————————————------
My photos: http://www.gordonpritchard.blogspot.com/

gordonpritchard's gear list:gordonpritchard's gear list
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow