Minolta 500mm reflex won't fit on Sony A-mount adapter?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tdkehoe
tdkehoe Forum Member • Posts: 88
Minolta 500mm reflex won't fit on Sony A-mount adapter?

I just bought a Minolta 500mm f/8 reflex. It won't fit on my Sony A-mount adapter. Wikipedia says that the lens is A-mount. What mount does the lens have?

I have a Sony a7. I have a Minolta 20mm f/2.8 A-mount and a Sony AF 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM A-mount. Both fit with an adapter on the a7, no problems.

I'll attach a picture I shot last week with the 70-300mm of a Hairy Woodpecker on a backpacking trip in Rocky Mountain National Park. It was after sunset and I chased the woodpecker through the woods, I couldn't get close so it's cropped down.

I was hoping for a lighter, longer lens for wildlife on backpacking trips. The 500mm is only four ounces lighter; the 70-300mm has great optics so if the 500mm isn't as sharp I might as well carry the 70-300mm and crop the picture down.

Maybe I should switch to Canon and get their new 600mm f/11. That's four ounces heavier than my 70-300mm but the pictures look sharp.

Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow