RX10 IV focus hunting--and what does ((o)) mean?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
peterak Regular Member • Posts: 145
RX10 IV focus hunting--and what does ((o)) mean?

I just picked up an RX10. Lovely camera, but I'm frankly just a bit disappointed with the autofocus. It doesn't seem to lock on with the authority of my RX100 V (at the same focal length and aperture), or my old Nikon D5000. I expected focus speed/authority to be at least as good as either of these. I've tried AF-C, AF-A, center focus, flexible spot, expand flexible spot--all are a little indecisive at times. AF wide seems a bit better--maybe because this allows the camera to chose a clean, high contrast spot to lock onto.

Also, what gives with the ((o)) focus lock indicator in the lower left corner of the viewfinder? Pretty much every other camera I recall has two options down there—either a solid green dot indicating good focus, or a blinking green dot indicating lack of focus. With the RX10 I frequently get a solid ((o)). I can't find an explanation of this in the Sony guide or in Gary Friedman's guide. Looks like it may mean that the camera is detecting excessive shake—my hand shake has been increasing with age—but it happens even at very short focal lengths.

Any insights?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Peter

peterak's gear list:peterak's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VA Olympus TG-6
Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow