New Fujinon 16-80 f4 owner: sharpness and other observations

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
thxbb12 Senior Member • Posts: 2,150
New Fujinon 16-80 f4 owner: sharpness and other observations

Hello,

I just purchased the Fuji 16-80 f4 lens despite numerous reviews stating pretty poor corners sharpness. However, I've been wanting a lens with this range for a while when traveling and I was ready to accept the compromises.

I use it on a Fuji X-S10 camera body.

I didn't have much time to try out the lens yet, but my early findings are rather interesting:

• This lens in combination with my Fuji X-S10 body seems to be prone to shutter shock when using the mechanical shutter. It is thus advisable to use the electronic shutter to maximize sharpness.
  • Quite a few times, I had some blurry pictures despite using the electronic shutter. The lens appears to sometimes mis-focus (even on contrasty subjects - not sure if it happens often or not yet) despite the green box confirmation in the viewfinder. This doesn't happen with my current Fuji primes, but I had encountered similar issues with the Fuji 23 f1.4 and Fuji 18-55 in the past (I had since sold them).
  • The OOC JPG sharpness is rather poor, post-processing the RAW files with RawTherapee (my usual converter) brings much more resolution and details, especially in the corners.

Below are several full size shots that illustrate the sharpness difference between OOC JPG and post-processed ones. Feel free to pixel peep. Please note these are tests shots only. Their purpose was to assess the lens' sharpness, nothing else. Also, the colors don't fully match the OOC jpeg. In RawTherapee, I used the "distortion correction" tool which is not profile based, so I'm not sure how the software attempts to correct it, but it does apply some correction although not as much as the camera JPEG engine (or presumably LR). For my needs (mostly landscapes and portraits at 80mm where there is little distortion), it's good enough.

I thought this observation could help fellow photographers thinking their lens is not giving them sharp enough results.

I think shooting RAW is highly beneficial with this lens, especially with photos containing foliage where the difference is particularly noticeable.

16mm f5.6, RawTherapee

16mm f5.6, OOC jpeg

16mm f4, RawTherapee

16mm f4, OOC jpeg

16mm f4, RawTherapee

16mm f4, OOC jpeg

16mm f4, RawTherapee

16mm f4, OOC jpeg

80mm f4, RawTherapee

80mm f4, OOC jpeg

16mm f4, RawTherapee

16mm f4, OOC jpeg

-- hide signature --
 thxbb12's gear list:thxbb12's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-S10 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow