The RF 70-200 f4 L Lens for Video: Great but One Big Flaw

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,889
The RF 70-200 f4 L Lens for Video: Great but One Big Flaw

The Canon RF 70-200 f4 L lens is a dream - it is the most compact, constant aperture 70-200mm with IS one can buy. So great for travel. And, of course it is super sharp, has the latest AF motors so its AF works great. Stabilization works in synch with IBIS on the R5 for stable handheld video. And f4 is wide enough to get good separation of subjects. Close-ups are good too.

This 8K RAW video illustrates its qualities:

So what's the flaw? It's white! Despite being small, it sticks out in the crowd. I have shot in this location many, many times. No one notices me, with my black lenses of any length. In this shoot, within just an hour or two I got comments: "Nice lens!" "Are you a spy or something?" "Hey, don't shoot me!". It was terrible.

Why are the best telephoto lenses white? Also true for Sony.

So, this lens is great. But I may have to go with the even more compact, much less conspicuous, Canon RF 24-105 IS STM for places like here.

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +14 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow