Who wants to join me in a fun project? Locked

Started 1 month ago | Polls thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,648
Who wants to join me in a fun project?

Member yardcoyote recently mentioned offhand that he was having a lot of fun with his Canon Ivy Rec.

I'm not in the market for a new camera, but I was curious, as I had never even HEARD of it. I Googled it up, and here's the skinny:

• It's a clippable action cam. The rectangular glassless viewfinder doubles as a carabiner
  • 13 MP
  • Small sensor
  • Junky 25 mm eq. lens (but "fast" at f/2.2)
  • Waterproof
  • Drop resistant
  • Also shoots video
  • No screen
  • Uses Micro USB card
  • No flash or LED; it just cranks the ISO through the roof and artifacts must be accepted in low light

If you're like me, you've had cameras that were just FUN to shoot with. Not necessarily the best, but just fun anyway. Not too serious. Single prime. Think of that first Instamatic or box camera you started with.

I read some reviews, and watched some YouTube reviews. Many people are disappointed because of the image quality and laggy wireless image transfer utility. Canon kind of lost control of their Marketing group, who talked it up a bit too much. (1080p @ 60 fps video; must be pro grade!?) Either that, or people just had unrealistic expectations and wanted some cheap device to review for content for their YouTube channel...

Think of it as a cell phone camera from 15 years ago, but higher resolution and a lot more rugged and portable and that's probably a good expectation.

Canon seems to have pulled the plug on these, so the price has dropped from $130 to $50 as they're being closed out now @ B&H. Only gray are left. (they had some fun colors)

There are some on ebay still, if you don't mind being gouged for color. (>$80 US)

I figure if a few of us buy them, I'll create a thread in which we share our adventures with and images with this little camera. We can have some good-natured teasing. Laugh at the poor technical quality, but while trying to get pleasing compositions. (it allegedly does a decent job of recognizing and compensating for backlit subjects)

If you're someone who enjoys candids or street photography, it is a good way to be stealthy and non-threatening. Heck, you might even find it gets muggles interested in photography, the way Fuji did with Instax some time ago. I think it's going to be a cult classic, like the Olympus Trip 35, Rollei 35 and Fuji Instax Mini.

Who's in?

If you have a Ivy Rec and don't like it, consider offering it up at a non-gouging price to someone here in the sales forum.

Please don't reply and bash the camera or grumble about how it won't be fun; just move on.

I have no affiliation with Canon or B&H; it's just that B&H appears to be the only one who has them left in stock. Canon's website indicates that Best Buy sells (or sold) them locally. I stopped by my local Best Buy, and they're out of stock, but maybe you can source one in their network and get it locally? Amazon appears to be out of them, but still has accessories they're trying to get rid of. (ex. silly cases and face plates)

Edited to add links:

Canon USA's page on it

B&H's page on it

Edit 2: Similar "toy quality" cameras are allowed in this project.

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +34 more
POLL
I will!
33.3% 7  votes
Nah, doesn't sound like fun, sorry.
28.6% 6  votes
No thanks. (other)
38.1% 8  votes
  Show results
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow