So I switched to OLY 100-400 from Pana 100-400

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Robiro Veteran Member • Posts: 6,808
So I switched to OLY 100-400 from Pana 100-400

I made a very brave move recently, selling my trusty Pana 100-400 and buying Oly 100-400, while being a GX8 owner with mediocre IBIS and aging sensor (planning to finally upgrade my camera body once the new models with that BSI sensor are available on the market).

What I lost after selling Pana 100-400:

- Dual IS allowing me to take sharp pictures at low speeds

- smaller, lighter lens with much better handling

After spending a few days with Olympus, here are my quick conclusions:

- lens tripod mount collar - these collars are killing me, what a stupid design requiring a screwdriver (!) to put it on or off (Panasonic tripod mount design is light years ahead)

- cosmetic collar - what a stupid design requiring a cosmetic collar costing !@#$% to cover a few screw heads? I knew this design when I bought my Oly 40-150mm f2.8 but I completely forgot the fact that I will be seeing it again with Oly 100-400mm.

- no lens bag included, off course - ripped off by Olympus again, must be purchased separately

- OLY 100-400 is a sharper lens than my Pana 100-400 was, but I have to close it down to f8, unlike Pana that was sharpest wide open

- OIS hurts image quality, as expected on GX8, even at fast shutter speeds - I find non-OIS shots better than the shots taken with OIS on

- GX8 does not recognize this lens and does not allow any IBIS mode, so I only have OIS or nothing, IBIS with OIS off is not an option

Summary: I got what I wanted, in the end. This lens sharper in 300-400mm range than my old Pana was, however at the cost of having to shoot at f8.

So, quite mixed feelings. I got a sharper lens but the price I paid is quite high. To get better result, I must shoot at f8 and OIS stays off.

Two sample full res shots (second one little cropped), both of which are better I could do with Pana 100-400mm. You have to trust my judgement. They are better I could previously achieve with my Pana.

Robiro's gear list:Robiro's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Micro Four Thirds Olympus 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow