What happened to the FA 21 Limited?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Breakfastographer 2 Contributing Member • Posts: 544
Re: What happened to the FA 21 Limited?

MarBa wrote:

Breakfastographer 2 wrote:

MarBa wrote:

Seeing that K-3 III (current action camera flagship) is lagging in buffer size, speed of image processing and writing even behind 5-years old D500 .. I think it is fair to say that massive improvements in processing power are unlikely .. especially now during massive shortages of chips everywhere.

Remember that the D500 uses XQD cards. It has an SD slot as well, but I suspect you need XQD to get that peak performance. No IBIS, no accelerator... hard to say what role the accelerator plays in power consumption or pipeline delays, or how much lens it takes for IBIS to be the cheaper option.

Yes.. but the modern UHS-II cards can write 300MB/s .. about 3x the speed that K-3 III is actually writing with at the moment. I would not think that IBIS plays a role ... I would hope that control of that is an independent process that does not slow down image processing. I'm not sure what the "accelerator" is doing exactly .. if it is not just a fancy name for something that other manufactures just have in their main processor. Again .. comes back to electronics design.

Quick clarification on the IBIS part - I meant IBIS consumes some power, but so does lens-based IS, and big lenses probably have larger IS elements, so consume more power, also drawn from the camera battery. So it's not clear that IBIS consumes more energy when comparing with lens IS, but I have not found any hard data with a quick web search.

And for the record, in case it matters: XQD does 125 to 500 MB/s. Using your ballpark figure of 33MB times 12fps, we get 400MB/s, which means XQD could in theory give unlimited raw bursts on the K-3 III, while UHS-II at full speed comes close enough that you should be able to maintain around 8fps (to account for margins of variation).

The potential silver lining is that if your card writing speed matches or exceeds your data capture rate, you don't need much buffer. For a fully optimised camera with similar characteristics as the K-3 III even 200MB of RAM would seem slight overkill - rather than 1GB as it currently needs.

So in my mind, eliminating the buffer should be an engineering priority.

It's a house of cards, of course, in the sense that when the user inserts a slow card, everything falls apart. That's the nice thing about using a completely new card standard like XQD - it's got an added up front cost to the user, but at least you know they'll be using a fast card because no slow and/or "legacy" cards exist.

I think reception of a stellar camera that requires a new card would have been better than of a camera that provides only moderate performance, but with all sorts of cards.

Well .. actually just these shortages could be the reason why we'll not see anything new for a while!

That is a possibility.

Last note on the K-1 III: What I would personally like are the new bracketing and focus peaking modes from other current Pentax cameras, and the ability to switch OFF the accelerator for raw (and raw in "RAW+").

YES!! I agree ... to have focus bracketing would be GREAT! Also .. I would like to have an option to do exposure bracketing and time-lapse at the same time. And I absolutely agree that there needs to be a setting to turn OFF any noise manipulation in raw!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow