Budgie Sony A7-series Shift-and-Stitch Adapter

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
ProfHankD
ProfHankD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,853
Budgie Sony A7-series Shift-and-Stitch Adapter

Were you feeling a bit left out when I posted about APSC2 for APS-C Sony cameras?

The Budgie Sony A7-series Shift-and-Stitch Adapter is an open-source, 3D-printable, adapter that allows your full-frame Sony E-mount (FE) body to capture 48x36mm images -- somewhat larger than the "medium format" 44x33mm sensors. The name "Budgie" comes from the idea that the camera can be budged +/-12mm relative to the mounted lens to capture multiple images for stitching. However, the cool thing is that this doesn't expect a medium-format lens: this is intended to use any designed-for-full-frame lens that can be adapted to Leica M mount. Here's Budgie on an A7:

Anyway, to avoid duplicate posting, here it is in the DIY forum , which has sample images and also points to my Thingiverse posting on it , which gives STLs and directions for construction and use.

I will note that the images definitely have a bit of large format feel... probably because of the drop in IQ  towards the edges combined with shallow DoF because I shot most test images with old lenses wide open. However, this is only doubling the size of your FF sensor's capture, so don't expect miracles.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX530 Olympus TG-860 Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a6500 +30 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow