Which lens next to complement my GF 45mm F2.8?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MrPineappleHead New Member • Posts: 14
Which lens next to complement my GF 45mm F2.8?

I recently bought a GFX 50R along with the amazing GF 45mm F2.8 (and what a lens that is!) But I'm planning to add one more lens to my kit this year. So I'd like to tap into your collective knowledge and wisdom. I'm mainly photographing empty streets and still life with my GFX setup, while using my X100V for run-and-gun candid street photography.

My original idea was to keep things simple with a 45mm + 63mm primes kit (23mm and 35mm were my most used lenses on my X-T3), but the more I research the GF lens lineup, the more intrigued I am about all the options. So here are the lenses that I'm considering:

63mm F2.8: I could pickup an ex-demo model from a camera store for $1500 CAD instead of the usual price of $2020 CAD. The size, weight and relatively low price of this lens are appealing. However, I'm reading that it's among the weaker GF lenses in terms of optical quality and among the slowest to focus (external barrel and loud) ā€“ also that there's questions about build quality and reliability, which could be an issue as this would be an ex-demo model with only 7 days to exchange if there's a defect.

32-64mm F4: Normally I wouldn't have considered this lens as I'm more of a primes guy (although I loved the 16-55 F2.8 when I had my X-T3). The reason I'm tempted is that there's currently a big $800 CAD discount on this lens in Canada until July 18. Although it's more than twice the weight of the 63mm, it focusses faster, has an extremely useful focal range and image quality is almost as good as the prime at 64mm. It would also be a great lens to take when travelling to avoid swapping and getting dust on the sensor. But, still it's a chunky piece of glass. (I know the 45-100 has OIS, but I prefer the focal range of the 32-64, and also that discount).

(Wild card option) 80mm F1.7: I love shooting city streets at night, but don't love using a tripod (unless I really have to). Could low-light at F1.7 could allow me to use my GFX 50R at a shutter speed of 1/125 and keep my ISO at levels around 3200? If so, then this could make it an appealing alternative to the 63mm F2.8. I know this is also a meaty piece of glass, but the focal length is close enough to a standard prime that I could think about adding this to my kit next year if I decide on the discounted zoom.

Thanks in advance!

MrPineappleHead's gear list:MrPineappleHead's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GF 63mm F2.8 Fujifilm GF 45mm F2.8
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow