A7RIV Freeze

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KE_DP
KE_DP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,838
A7RIV Freeze

Not much to do about it now but I encountered this over the weekend on a client shoot. Nothing fancy - my standard 85GM in M mode with a wireless trigger + manually adjusted fill flash. I got to about 6 clicks into the session and no more response from the shutter. Power cycle didn't do it. I didn't try removing the battery - could have I suppose... Playback button was unable to review images (said unavailable).

I always reformat cards before each shoot. My main slot has a non-recall Sony Tough card and I use dual write mode. I carry a fair amount of redundancy to shoots but a settings backup card wasn't one of them. At least the menus worked - so went with the nuclear option and did an initialize. Back in business after a little bit of scrambling to make sure the very basics were set up. That probably took me the same amount of time to run through a basic setup as it would have taken to go all the way back to the car and get a memory backup and reload. The rest of the shoot went fine and we time traveled back to 2019 according to the file dates because I skipped setting up the date! haha

Glad this was a portrait shoot and not a wedding! (pretty much not doing those any more though I would be carrying two cameras if I did)

One note - the default format is JPG - I think this is really dumb for a pro camera. You can't get RAW out of a JPG - but you can get JPG out of RAW. Think about it Sony! (RAW is the very first thing I restored BTW.)

KE_DP's gear list:KE_DP's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow