A1 pre purchase advice

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tobamory Senior Member • Posts: 1,220
A1 pre purchase advice

Happy Monday all. Work today bahhhhh

so I’m about to order an A1 but wanted to ask a few questions

i was a longtime Sony user R2 R3 GM glass, as COVID hit I sold it all and bought a high end PC as at that time I wasn’t massively using it and the PC was needed more, I kept my M4/3, I’ve always had these as the features like post focus and live composite were things I used quite a bit for macro star trails etc, this weekend I went sports shooting and it went ok, but I’m missing something that the Sony’s gave me, I just couldn’t crop in as much, as I do bike and car racing sometimes the vantage points are restricted so having the ability to heavily crop and retain detail was what I was missing…. So the idea came to get an A1 it does everything I need, I don’t really do much video but I have in the past contemplated both R4 and 9 mk2, but now this bad boy dropped I thought wow 50mp and like an 9 mmmmmmm sexy..I also see the 30FPS is something like Panasonic’s 6k photo mode I know not exactly the same but it’s that damn fast you just choose your shot from the flurry of files not too dissimilar to the lumix effect

so current train of thought is

A1

100-400

24-105

and something else

my questions

i presume it comes with 2 batteries like the R3 did ? I know a cardinal sin but any of you bought cheap amazon batteries  to fill a hole, yeah yeah I know 5k camera and cheap batteries but I had to ask….

the card slot I plan to get the  cf card for slot one, but is slot 2 normal SD ? how do you all use it and what’s the  card are you all using in slot 2 if you don’t buy 2 CF, maybe the uhs 2 cards? Any specific brands better, I don’t do lexar let me down too much in previous rigs.

as I,ll have a 1000 left have any of you run the Samyang AF glass on it, I was thinking of maybe an 85 or 135 and a 14, till I save up for GM equivalents

Grip I presume its the same grip the 9mk2 uses ?

my only annoyance is Sony’s upgrades they have done to the 4, do you think Sony would offer their flagship camera the free upgrade to rear screen resolution, I also doubt it, but it’s annoyed me, they surely knew they were doing this, so why chimp.

anyway thanks all

Ted

p.s friends long time Nikon guy and is eyeing up z2 any of you used played sold it? How much advantageous is 2 over 1 sorry I know Nikon forum item, but you guys will know, I am trying to move him to an R4 time will tell

Tobamory's gear list:Tobamory's gear list
Sony RX100 V Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Sony a1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow