Canon AE-1: first-curtain opens after advancing film

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
001FJ Regular Member • Posts: 361
Canon AE-1: first-curtain opens after advancing film

Hello,

I have a hobby of repairing and painting film cameras. So far I've only worked on the AE-1, and my current Canon AE-1 has this problem: as I advance the film lever, both curtains move from the left to the right as they should, but as the lever reaches its end the first curtain opens! And so I can see the mirror from the back of the camera because the aperture opening is uncovered.

It shouldn't be like this: both curtains should be snapped in place, and when a photo is taken then the first curtain travels first followed by the second curtain. But in this camera, only the second curtain travels when a photo is snapped because the first curtain opens automatically after the film advanced lever is cocked.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fYiGHHok6D1FUgfhXXHYQglbVKUlxDl1/view
Basically, the first curtain "brake" or "stopper" or "gear" is not engaging, if I am understanding the problem correctly.
I already opened it, and cleaned what I can, and took a look around and everything looks in place, and cleaned the magnetic contacts at the bottom, and everything seems fine!
I tried the Service Manual, but that was a maze!
Does anyone have an idea what I should be looking at? Just some feedback to nudge me in the right direction would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow