Focused object in video turns silhouette

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
VideoAintEasy New Member • Posts: 2
Focused object in video turns silhouette

Being very inexperienced with videography, i was hoping that Canon M50 would compensate my lack of skill. Maybe I expected too much?

So I was taking video of live performance this summer. The event took place at big open park in bright sunny day under a sheltered picnic area. I took the leap of faith and chose the “Green A+” mode preparing to shoot the live event. I aimed the camera at the performer and half-press to get focus, viewfinder seemed to get the focus right and bumped the iso since under the shelter was dark compared to the bright summer day dominating the background. Thinking what I saw on screen was good, I pressed the video record button.

To my surprise, the viewfinder betrayed me. The video is rolling but the performer turned into pitch black silhouette while passerby with their dogs outside under the sun looked fantastic! I couldn’t stop the recording as it was live event and I thought there might be hope with post processing. So now i am left with a few questions:

1. Is this just how Canon M50 works? I’m surprised my iphone 7 does much better job understanding the definition of “focus”. Did I pick the wrong camera for easy point and shoot video?

2. What mirrorless camera should I consider switching to for my casual video taking needs that is better than a smartphone? I got interested in real camera due to expandable lens option.

3. Is there post processing software you’d recommend to rebalance exposure after the fact?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and suggestions.

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow