Z6ii or Z7 (gen 1) for same price?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chaik New Member • Posts: 24
Z6ii or Z7 (gen 1) for same price?

I just received a wonderful and unexpected gift. My wife bought me a Z6ii with 24-70 and FTZ, which is definitely more than enough camera for me (I'm coming from a 13 year old D300). However, the local store messed up their shipment, and to make up for it, gave her a Z7 (gen 1) instead, also with 24-70 and FTZ (and a CF express reader as well). At least here in Canada, that Z7 kit is $1300 more expensive.

Here's the thing - I'm not sure Z7 is actually the better camera for me, and I can swap the Z7 kit for the Z6ii kit without hassle.

Any advice? Here are the key considerations I'm thinking about:

- Low-light performance: I suspect this will be the biggest upgrade from my D300. I hate that I have to use a flash when even taking casual shots indoors (with indoor lights on, of course).

- Auto-focus and tracking performance: I've got young kids, a dog, and so the best AF and tracking is a priority. To be honest, AF is the only reason I would have considered a Sony, especially given what I've heard about human and animal eye tracking.

- Future firmware updates: Will the Z6ii's dual-processors have more upside?

- Resolution: Sure, more resolution is great for huge prints or extreme cropping, but that does comes with larger file sizes at all times. I'm not a professional landscape or studio photographer.

- Video: Not a major consideration for now. But, obviously better video is better.

Appreciate the community's advice!

Nikon D300 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow