Any suggestion for a light bikepacking trip? My experience with GX9 12-32mm and 25mm

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
HellasPeris
HellasPeris Junior Member • Posts: 41
Any suggestion for a light bikepacking trip? My experience with GX9 12-32mm and 25mm

I recently traveled by bicycle to the Greek islands. The characteristic of the islands is the big uphills . For this reason I made the bike as light as I could (total 18.5 kg).

Also the sun is too bright so a prime only makes sense at night. I was hesitant about which camera to take with me.

I love the EM5ii for EVF and HR, the EM10ii for size, but the GX9 is fast and has a reclining EVF.

My consern was with which lens I would accompany the GX9

1. 12-32 the lightest smaller lens

2. 12-50 long just good for macro and at 45mm but protrudes quite a bit.

3. 40-150mm the classic lens for long shots.

4. 17mm 1.8 Laowa for evening and scenery but is a bit heavy and without AF.

5, 25mm 1.8 very light

6. 45mm 1.8 for evening and faces.

After relevant thoughts I decided on the lightest set up: GX9 with Lumix 12-32mm and the 25 1.7.

The GX9 12-32 is easy to get in and out of the bag. Keep in mind that the bag pack is a small bicycle bag. Finally after 12 days of excursion and several outdoors I can draw some conclusions.

A. The GX9 is a fantastic travel engine. Fast, the EVF is satisfying especially when it spins. Many of the photos due to sun I looked vertically to avoid too much light. With the 12-32 the machine is small and especially has a small thickness to go in and out of the shoulder bag. The screen in the sun is very bright and very good for snap photography. B. I did not need the lumix 25mm 1.7 much.

C. Looking at the photos on the photolab DxO, especially RAW I can say that even a kit lenses can be turned into an absolute lens with DxO if you have enough light.

Ultimately what I would think I would miss is a 12-45mm pro or even a 20mm 1.7. The latter fits nicely and fits in shape with the GX9.

D. I did not miss the long zooms because only with the 12-32mm I used the crop so I converted the 64mm to 89mm. The question I have is is it believed that a 12-45mm and a 20mm are ideal for an adventure trip? What else do you suggest?

My flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/186746339@N02/

And this is my youtube channel mostly artistic videos in the nature.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCoOreFuN1SfhB_yKL1wxsg

HellasPeris's gear list:HellasPeris's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow