Samyang 14mm EF renewal or RF (manual)

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
m_breeb_99 New Member • Posts: 3
Samyang 14mm EF renewal or RF (manual)

I am considering buying a manual 14mm Samyang wide angle lens for astrophotography in combination with my EOS RP. As I already have an EF adapter, there are two versions to choose from: the EF renewal (mark 2) version or the RF version (not considering the original EF version because it seems to be hit / miss in terms of quality). I was wondering which one to take. The RF version is slightly cheaper but not a lot.

Obviously, the immediate advantage of the RF version is that it doesn't need an adapter. On the other hand, the RF version is still heavier than the EF mark 2 version + adapter. Additionally, the Viltrox EF adapter has a tripod base, which probably makes for a better balanced setup.

Also, I noticed that the EF mark 2 version has focus lock which seems quite useful to me.

But at the end it probably boils down to image quality and chance to obtain a good copy. Which one would be better on these dimensions? And does anyone have other arguments to pick either one?

Thanks

m_breeb_99's gear list:m_breeb_99's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EOS RP Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow