Usage questions on DA*300 and FA 150-450

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JoeOptics314 Forum Member • Posts: 82
Usage questions on DA*300 and FA 150-450

I am about to order a Pentax FA 150-450 and looking for carrying and usage advice. About a month ago I purchased a DA*300 and am so happy with the image quality that I am going the next step. The DA*300 is the heaviest lens I have ever used, but having read reviews and specs I know the FA 150-450 is more than twice as heavy.

I got excellent advice and help in this forum on the DA*300, though one thing I am still looking for opinions on is the following. Am I stressing the K-3 iii body too much when walking around with the DA*300 attached and the whole thing is over my shoulder? In use I am either mounted on a tripod using the lens foot or shooting hand held as suggested by several in this group with my hand on the lens foot that attaches to a tripod.

So the obvious next question is do people use the FA 150-450 in a similar manner to the DA*300?

1. Is it too stressful to the camera body walking around with the FA attached and the whole thing over my shoulder?

2. Is it practical for folks my age (almost 71 and not strong or agile) to walk in the woods and shoot hand held?

3. Do most people find they use a tripod?

4. For air travel, which I hope to do again someday, do most people get a bit padded suitcase or backpack and take the expensive gear as carry on?

I am doing mostly wild life with the DA*, but some late night simple minded astrophotography (moon shots and stacking a few star shots). So far all my shooting is either driving a few miles to a local pond or walking the neighborhood within 0.5 miles of home. Neighbors certainly notice the lens!

(I accidentally posted this first in an a different group "Adapted Lens Talk", sorry about any confusion for people who happen to monitor both groups.  This Pentax SLR Talk is where I meant to post, but the other group may have some insight into heavy lenses)

-- hide signature --

David Lees

JoeOptics314's gear list:JoeOptics314's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +6 more
Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow