Current situation with Full frame Sony E mount vs Canon RF mount lenses (+3rd party lens)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tengri New Member • Posts: 3
Current situation with Full frame Sony E mount vs Canon RF mount lenses (+3rd party lens)

I'm looking to go into the hybrids for a hobby initially. And I've been doing a lot of research.

I'm currently comparing the A7Siii vs R5 as they seem to be around a similar price bracket. R5 does seem to suit the hybrid work better (if not doing long-form video). However, what does stick out is that lenses will probably be a bigger factor long term. I'm only really interested in zooms currently due to the flexibility.

Initially, the cannon lens attracted me with the specs which the sony could not seem to match. 28-70mm f2! (non-stabilized) and 24-70mm f2.8 (stabilized). The best I could find for the sony was a 24-70 f2.8(non-stabilized) and 28-70 f4 (stabilized). Looks like the canon has sony beat in both un/stabilized options.

However, the story turned once the price gave me a shock! It seems while the cannon has the higher specs ceiling, they will cost you an arm and a leg! Not that the sony G lens are priced much better, but at least the 3rd party lens comes to save the day for the E mount! No such 3rd party zoom lens for RF mount.

Therefore I have the following questions:

1. Is stabilised lens worth the extra price and bulk in handheld? I don't see much benefit with gimbals being the superior choice. Is there a situation where it would prove a game-changer?
  2. Any news/rumors on canon RF 3rd party zoom lenses? Seems quiet....
  3. Is Sony going to close the lens gap?
  4. The A7siii seems to tick everything except the MP count (which removes the cropping/zooming flexbility). Therefore, while I wait for the a7iv ( then decided on A7siii or A7iv), what option would be best?
  • 1)A7iii with a good lens ( Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8)
  • 2) a6600 with same FF Tamron lens
  • 3) Panasonic S5 with kit lens
  • 4) your suggestions.
  • 5) Get R5/R6 and only use the cheapass 50mm f1.8 lens until I can afford the stated RF zooms above in a couple of months time.  The cannons do seem to have better AF and stabilization.

The reason for the options above is many to keep the Tamron lens during body selloff (with the sony systems) or be able to explore the modern 4k60fps 10bit 422 video workflow with the Panasonic S5 (which the A7iii nor the A6600 has). Going R5/R6 will probably be a very frustrating experience but may work out better long term with lens (but the market may have changed by then).

I intend to use the above till either the A7iv comes out (please be Sept 2021) or 3rd party Cannon RF lense come out (unlikely lol). Therefore your 2pence/cents would be highly appreciated!

Canon EOS R5 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Sony a6600 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow