Brian Kimball wrote:

Bernard Delley wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

ANAYV wrote:

Brian Kimball wrote:

Great pic! Impressive for that ISO.

Thanks.

Just as a minor aside, there's no such thing as a 100% crop. Well, unless you crop out 100% of the pixels I guess, but that won't leave you with much to look at. šŸ˜œ

Whether your final image is viewed at 1:1 is dependent on the viewer's monitor characteristics and display settings, not your chosen crop. There is no guaranteed way to crop an image that forces another viewer on another computer to immediately view the image so that 1 image pixel is displayed on 1 monitor pixel. Well, unless you crop it substantially smaller, to something like 500x500 or less.

I see. I had asked about what a 100% crop was some years ago, but didnt get any real answer. Thanks for this info.

For example, in my case neither the inline image in your post nor the image enlarged in DPReview's image viewer is 1:1 on my display. I have to click "100% Zoom" in the viewer to see it 1:1, or open the JPG manually in a new tab or program and still direct it to go to 100%.

I mention this because the inline image and the image displayed in the DPReview image viewer look substantially better than when I view it at 100%. It's hard to say how many people viewing the squirrel and commenting on the image quality are actually seeing it at 100%, or 1:1.

Hope that helps. Like I said, just a minor aside. šŸ¤™

That did. Thanks for the correction!

So better to say 'cropped to 1:1, ' or to say a 'full crop of the original image'?

Thanks again.

Stay healthy

ANAYV

The phrase "100% crop" is used a lot in comparisons but I think it's probably more accurate to say "crop taken at 100%" meaning zoomed into 100% you take a crop of the image for illustration. But I think the phrase is used incorrectly a lot of times.

Yes. Not used correctly and folk like me get confused

I generally just say "sample" or "crop" but leave out the 100%, or I'm explicit and say something like "here's a sample [portion of the image] at 100%".

That sounds better. I will leave out the 100% and just mention cropped from now on.

I think it was clear enough that a cropped image was shown at 100% in the original post.

Except it wasn't shown at 100% (at least on my 24" 4K monitor). That was my whole point in this subthread. In fact, even if you open the image in the DPReview viewer it's not at 100% yet.

Again, there is no way to crop an image so that it guarantees another user's software and hardware will display the image at 100% zoom.

100% is a zoom amount, not a crop amount.

if you click original size, an then click on the image you get a 1307x1489 size image in the present case, which is at 100% zoom. If you download the original size image you get a 1307 x 1489 jpeg image, independent of the click toggle. Then its on your software to show the downloaded jpeg at 100%.

The obvious meaning is, that every pixel of the camera capture was shown inside the cropped area: the full pixel-peeper view. I think the 100% makes this more clear than other ways of trying to say that.

Another thing might be, saying uncropped image or full image shown, which obviously does not apply for the original post here.

Sometimes, it can be a useful choice to show the image at 50% to give an almost as precise impression of the image quality. I do not think differently scaled images with other percentages would give a similarly useful idea about image quality.

Guys, all it means is that an image is cropped such that there is no downsizing done to display the image on your computer screen. "100% crop" is often misunderstood, but means 1:1 pixel mapping to your screen.

My silly point, that I will repeat again:

Again, there is no way to crop an image so that it guarantees another user's software and hardware will display the image at 100% [or 1:1] zoom.

This is especially true in this example, where OP's image is not displayed at 1:1 by DPReview unless one goes out of their way to view it that way.

It's such a hilariously minor point that I find it kind of funny that people argue against it.

Think through the term "100% crop." Take the limit of "X% crop" as X approaches 100. 50% crop implies cropping 50% of data (either 50% along one dimension or 50% of total pixels). 75% crop implies something like 75% of the image has been removed. 90% crop implies something like 90% of the image has been removed. And so on and so forth.

And then we get to 100. 100% crop? Oh, that means you're supposed to zoom to 100% when viewing it.

I just find this silly, that's all.

Definitely not a big deal, but fun to explore.

The term is usually used when analyzing small sections of an image, in which case on nearly all displays it will be mapped at 1:1. It's probably not appropriate to use the term when talking about images greater than about a thousand pixels on a side since many LCD displays made in the last decade were 1366x768. I always avoided such displays, but they are ubiquitous.

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow