Reason for low quality displays on mirrorless cameras?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DirkPeh
DirkPeh Regular Member • Posts: 146
Reason for low quality displays on mirrorless cameras?

I own two more recent cameras, a Ricoh GR III and a Sony Alpha 6400. I like both a lot, but have one issue with both, even more with the Ricoh, 'cause it doesn't have a viewfinder.

Why is the quality of the display on both cams and many others, even more expensive ones, so low compared to even budget recent smartphones? In bright daylight it is nearly impossible to compose shots with the displays, even at their brightest level.

I would suppose that - esp. because of the millions of smartphones that are sold - high quality bright touch displays with a high resolution are to get very cheap in large numbers and are easily available.

Is there an economic or engineering reason for the camera manufacturers to equip their cams with the lower quality displays that are standard for "real" cameras?

I think they must be aware that esp. people, who are used to recent smartphones and might even not realise that the cam in their hands has a viewfinder, will shy away from buying a decent camera, just after having a look at the display.

So is there a rationally understandable reason for the displays we get with our cams?

Just curious...

DirkPeh's gear list:DirkPeh's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X100V Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow