Help diagnosing focus problem

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MattPointZero
MattPointZero Senior Member • Posts: 1,563
Help diagnosing focus problem

I could use some help and second opinions if you would - I'll try and keep the explanation short.

I have shot A7Riv models a lot, and once previously with the lens model used here, the 24-105mm G F4 - however this lens and body are brand new and this is first use with them.

These are shot at 200 F8 with a strobe and are static shots - AFC / Eye AF

I would previously expect these to be tack sharp everywhere, but parts of these shots are clearly soft / out of focus.  On the full length portrait oriented shots the face appears soft.  On the tighter shots, the left side of the model appears much less sharp.

I'm willing to accept user error of course, but have used this camera model an awful lot and never had an issue - and again, F8, static, strobes...these aren't right!  Unfortunately, it is NOT replicated in every single shot and as such I am struggling to decide if it is camera, lens, ibis, user - what do you think?

First three with errors:

Then this below seems to have similar issues but is shot with a samyang prime??

And then this one with the cheap samyang prime that doesn't seem to behave the same way (to my eye)

All ideas appreciated.

MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 20mm F1.8 Nikon Z 50mm F1.2
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow