If you were given $2000 to spend on anything Pentax…

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
JeremieB Senior Member • Posts: 1,009
Re: 150-450 popularity...

robbo d wrote:

JeremieB wrote:

robbo d wrote:

.... is an interesting theme coming up in this thread and makes you think about the logic behind a much improved auto focus system.

K3mkiii adopters are now considering their telephoto options because BIF, sports and wildlife are all a much more viable option.

which generally are:

DA*300

55-300PLM

150-450

Give the people the right body and they will buy expensive lenses too.

For me, I have a Bigma and the original 55-300 but both are strugglers with the k3 in lower light and certainly the 150-450 is a dream lens.

Not only is the k3mkiii bringing in the $$ but these lens sales must be correspondingly picking up also.

Yes. I guess K70 was supposed to make the PLM sell like pancakes, but in the end I wonder if the K3III didn't play this role more efficiently...

If this forum is an indication of anything, it seems they sold a few 55-300 and 150-450 thanks to K3III (and/or, thanks to the existence of K3III).

Well, my hope is that they sell many, get money, and use that to release more and more often to make the system a bit more exciting

I notice we don't have much feedback on how the DA* lenses with ring type sdm behave on K3III.

I did read a review or comment a few weeks back where the SDM lenses, while not becoming blazingly fast, had become more sure footed and usable with the k3mkiii AF technology.

Be careful, there's SDM and there's ring type SDM, both extremes (ring type being the best, old SDMs the worst).

A good summary from Alex Sarbu: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65033285

There were positive feedbacks regarding in body motor AF (you can include mine), which was always quite fast, but K3III avoids most of the racking the whole focus range for nothing that was very irritating.

For the old SDMs (the ones that failed sometimes) I don't know, I always tried to avoid them.

He was not impressed with the 70-200f4 because of the Tamron AF motor which allegedly caused some chattering in AF, but said the f2.8 version was a lot better...

It would be good for some of those who've had those lenses for a while to comment on the 'feel' with the new body.

AFC whilst being pretty awful on the older models was not completely my beef. I feel the AFC was neither up to scratch in comparison to my D800. It seemed to get confused too easily with wider angle shots where contrast was in question.

The whole attention seems to have gone into BIF and Z axis tracking where I'd like to try one to see if it locks solidly on time every time in AFS.

I suspect.... the improvement is holistically through the lens range.

JeremieB's gear list:JeremieB's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow