What happened to the FA 21 Limited?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,722
Re: What happened to the FA 21 Limited?

Gary Martin wrote:

BryantP wrote:

James O'Neill wrote:

5r82 wrote:

Since this is a full frame lens, it will could be released with new K-1 Mark 3 one day.

Possibly the announcement it is shipping will coincide with the first showing of K1-iii prototype.

While it might be a nice lens to release in conjunction with a K-1 III, it is also a lens that would make a K-1 or K-1 II a much more attractive purchase to me. Lack of a ultra-wide angle prime has been my primary reason for not going full frame with Pentax.

I would love to see a 16-35 f4 as well; it would be nice to carry around a wide-zoom that weighed less than a kilogram.

I wanted the the 15-30 f/2.8 but had to return it, 98x143mm doesn't sound huge, but it is (>1000cc) , and it tips the scales at over 1Kg. I have sigma's 12-24 but really don't feel a lot of love for it (unlike the popular 10-20 I had for APS-C)   the 24-70 is 2/3 the volume and 20% lighter but that's still heave and not super-super-wide.  (and still double the volume and weight of the 28-105, and the DA 10-17 fisheye is smaller still )

There is a sweet spot for very wide AND portable, but I'm not quite sure what is. I suspect the market is too small to develop one in house, so licensing someone else's design or just leaving it to third parties might be the answer.

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow