Can a smart phone take studio like images?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
C Sean Veteran Member • Posts: 3,068
Can a smart phone take studio like images?

Smart phones are capable of good images in good lighting like any other camera. However, I don't know if this had change with recent models but seeing a smart phone image on a big screen can look pretty horrible especially compared to likes of a M43 camera.

The reason for this topic is because Google is advertising their Pixel phone and stating their cameras in their latest phones are studio quality.

So here are my thoughts...

• There was a UK photography program on the BBC and the contestants struggled with using their mobile phones to deliver outstanding images.
  • While you can use any camera for a studio, for example a photographer used an Em1.2 and the 12-40mm 2.8. Normally photographers prefer to use larger sensor cameras like Full Frame or Medium format.
  • For studio photography, lighting equipment often used and can cost thousands.
  • Majority of advertising photos are taken with Full Frame and Medium format, not a phone.

I've seen examples of shots taken on my brother's latest phone and compared to my M43 camera with a sensor now four years old. My camera wins easily yet my Z6 + S 50mm 1.8 beat M43.

So I'm interested how a Google Pixel can deliver studio quality like photos and make it pointless buying expensive glass like the Nikon S 85mm 1.8 or Canon R 85mm 1.2.

Nikon Z6 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow