a6300 ---> a6600 for bird photography, worth the upgrade?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rtizzer
rtizzer New Member • Posts: 12
a6300 ---> a6600 for bird photography, worth the upgrade?

Hi all,

I am currently shooting with the a6300 and 200-600 f5-6.3 lens. I shoot primarily birds and some other wildlife, and this has been a great combo but I am thinking about the a6600 for a few primary reasons

1. IBIS - are the improvements significant if I only use native OSS lenses?
  2. More menu / button customizability including four custom buttons rather than two (I went from a7riv to a6300, that was not an easy transition with ergonomics and interface usability in the field)
  3. AF! Major improvements over the a6300 and a6500. This would be huge for birds
  4. Battery life (though I always use a grip, so the npfw50s aren't a deal breaker if I stick with the a6300)
  5. Touch screen focus points, related to the above bullet, can be useful in the field, also not a deal breaker

The main reason I went from a7riv --> a6300 was to save a buck, and obviously a camera like that isn't needed for hobbyist wildlife photography (though it made the experience vastly more enjoyable and the results more consistent). I am just struggling to get used to the tiny controls, lack of a front dial, only two custom buttons, etc. So main questions:

1. Will the IBIS give me better images despite only using OSS lenses? I've done some research on this and learned that they do in fact complement each other (3-axis lens and 2-axis body or something like that), but haven't been able to find any info about to what degree the IBIS could actually help
  2. Has anyone else experienced the struggle with lack of button / dial options on the crop body Sony cameras for wildlife photography? Have you found good menu settings / ways around it and gotten used to it with good results? E.g, using the front dial for exposure compensation under Av mode, specific metering settings, auto ISO etc. Should I just bite the bullet money-wise and stick with my a7riv or trade it in (almost equally) for an a9?
  3. What do you know about the AF improvements? I've heard the a6600 shares the a9 AF system. Seems like that should be waaaay better than the a6300.

Of course feel free to chime in with other thoughts, experiences or things I may have missed.

Thanks in advance! Happy shooting

rtizzer's gear list:rtizzer's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
Sony a6300 Sony a6600 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow