Focus shift not stopping at infinity…

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DaveJC
DaveJC Senior Member • Posts: 1,881
Focus shift not stopping at infinity…

I have been bewildered by the Nikon application of focus shift. I use focus shifting on both my Fuji Xt3 and Gf50r without a problem. Granted the Nikon version is less sophisticated than Fuji’s but it should work reasonable the same. I could not under stand why I kept getting incredibly blurry images after what appeared to be a good start. After a lot of testing, I finally realized that the camera is taking exactly the number of images I input on the focus stacking page. I was under the impression that the camera would stop at infinity when reached and take no more images, as Fuji’s do. With my Z7ii, if I set the count to 10 and it took 5 images to get to infinity it should stop but mine just goes ahead and takes 5 more shots. This was really confusing on the 14-30 which I expected 2 shots to cover the wide DOF of the lens. Camera decided that one cut the mustard but kept on shooting 4 more totally way out of focus shots. It goes to infinity and beyond like Buzz Lightyear… Am I wrong or is my camera malfunctioning. This happens with 14-30, 24-200 and the 85 f1.8. Any thought appreciated…

-- hide signature --

Fuji XT and GF shooter
DaveJC

DaveJC's gear list:DaveJC's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z7 II Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +6 more
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow