Nikon 70-200 F4 upgrade?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nikon_Enthusiast Regular Member • Posts: 301
Nikon 70-200 F4 upgrade?

So after various posts in the past and sorting stuff out on my own I've been able to sort out the astigmatism, field curvature, dof or whatever combination of the those results in the nasty edges on my 70-200 F4 and how to avoid it most of the time. So I don't feel a need to upgrade. However, I still feel the performance is lacking a bit due to it always slightly underexposing and I suspect a lack of contrast due to diffraction when I'm using it at F9. (I'm just not sure if it is worse than average and yes I actually use it at F9 about 75% of the time. That's why I have to come here in hope of answers as most reviewers aren't comparing these lenses at F8-F11, maybe somebody here has both and knows lol).

What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not the Tamron 70-200 G2 has better exposure and contrast at F8-F11 compared to the Nikon F4. I think I've already found enough convincing evidence the Tamron is sharper and appears to hopefully have cleaner edges.

Even though the 70-200 FL is stretching my budget quite a bit I'm also curious how that compares on the exposure/contrast aspect.

Edit: I was able to find some stuff on FL exposure, it does quite a lot better. Much better light transmission.

The only other concerns for the tamron are any issues related to it being a 3rd party lens and the possible minor quirks it may have compared to the nikons.

I've been using a photoshop a lot more after processing in NX-D lately and I assume photoshop has a profile to correct for the G2's distortion and CA so that shouldn't be a problem.

Nikon_Enthusiast's gear list:Nikon_Enthusiast's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED Nikon 24mm F1.8G ED +4 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow